Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas!

I just took my first hour, probably in this whole Christmas season, to just rest a little and actually reflect on Christmas… oh Christmas… such a strange time of year. The festivities, all the food and wine, shopping, getting all dressed up, exchanging gifts, getting text messages from people you haven’t spoken to in a year. The joy and the pain… the happiness and loneliness… It’s weird.
I generally really like Christmas but the reality of it is that it’s a really hard time of year for most people (or maybe this year seems a little worse than most). At my aunts last night I spent some time with my cousins friend who recently separated from her husband, it’s her first time in 11 years not cooking Christmas dinner for the entire family- that’s hard. I had a good cry with my grandma this morning as it’s her first Christmas without my grandpa – ouch. It seems like the reality of our pain, loneliness or dysfunctional families really comes to light at Christmas.

I was just reminded in this hour that we celebrate Christmas today to rejoice in the fact that Jesus came to earth to give us abundant life… but for some people, today is one of the hardest days to remember that… interesting how that happens.

Unrelated to Christmas, I’ve been thinking about this passage all week. It’s Moses talking to God the way I think we often do and God reminded Moses that He has a plan and is on this journey with him… I think we could relate it to Christmas:

Moses said to God, "Look, you tell me, 'Lead this people,' but you don't let me know whom you're going to send with me. You tell me, 'I know you well and you are special to me.' If I am so special to you, let me in on your plans. That way, I will continue being special to you. Don't forget, this is your people, your responsibility." God said, "My presence will go with you. I'll see the journey to the end." (Ex 33:12-14)

So today, may you be reminded and blessed by the fact that God sent his son to join us on our journey. Even if this is a really crappy Christmas for you, God has a plan for your life. From what I’ve experienced, the more I’ve trusted him the more this has been the reality of my journey. I pray that you are truly blessed by Jesus as you remember Him today and commit to trusting Him on this journey.

5 comments:

Ashwin said...

Christmas is a good time for reflection and solidarity indeed. Though I respect your belief in god, I'm still very skeptic on its existence to have your last thoughts. I don't know if you ever have thought the possibility that he/she may never have existed after all. But anyway, merry christmas and hope you have a great time. Cheers.

David said...

Ashwin, what are you skeptical about: the existence of a historical Jesus or God? Just curious.

Hey Daria, glad you had a nice Christmas.

Ashwin said...

Not Jesus but the existence of god.

Daria said...

Hi Ashwin, nice to sorta meet you in the blogging world... I didn't realize that people actually read what I write, I'm a little surprised...
Yeah, I've certainly thought about if God ever existed, I haven't always believed in God nor did I grow up in a Christian family - but I do now! It's been a journey for me. What thoughts hold you back from believing in the existance of a God?

Ashwin said...

Leaving aside the proofs of existence or non-existence of God themselves (which often end up in endless and complicated debates), if I have to become religious again, shall it be Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism or Shinto? What about believing in Tezcatlipoca or Isis? Anyway, the most important is not this. If you find peace of mind and well-being in it, so be it. It's a good source for moral ethics but not the only one. Btw, nice to meet you too :).